Monday, February 20, 2012

In flux

So much is up in the air here right now. I feel like we are fast approaching a crossroads in our lives. For awhile now both my hubby and I have been feeling dissatisfied, trapped, stuck in a never ending circle of mind numbing sameness: get up, struggle through the day, feel miserable, watch a bit of tv and go to bed. There's no passion for anything, no connection or fullfillment with the life we're building here. This is not how we want to live: this life of quiet desperation as Thoreau would say.

Two weeks ago we recieved notice that our rent will increase when we renew our apartment lease in April. Also we will have to go to a 12 month lease instead of continuing with the short term lease we currently have. We do not want to be locked in here long term. Though we love the layout of the apartment we loathe our noisy upstairs neighbors. The management is non existent and useless. And it's just too overpriced. We could easily buy a house for what we are paying in rent. So as soon as we got the notice we immediately decided we'd be moving in April. AGAIN. This will be my 5th move in the 7 years of my marriage. Two of those were cross country moves. Packing and moving all of our stuff is getting really old. So, we started halfheartedly looking around for a house to lease although we didn't really want to be tied down to a house here in Virginia. Then a few days later after a particularly crappy and stress filled day my hubby came home from work and asked what I would think of possibly buying an RV and living in it full time for awhile. I nearly jumped for joy!!!

Although most people will probably think we're nuts, ever since the first cross country 3 week road trip we took during the first year of our marriage, both of us have daydreamed about what it would be like to live full time in an RV and travel. I've probably mentioned this daydream several times here in my blog and I even wrote about it in my About Me blurb. Now it looks like we might really do it, kids, dog and all!!! We won't be traveling full time. My hubby isn't going to give up his job or anything that drastic. He'll still keep working a regular 9-5 but instead of wasting our money on rent we'll be buying an RV and living at various campgrounds within a short drive of his work. We'll try to do lots of weekend road trips whenever we can, which will be incredibly fun. Our favorite thing to do since we got married has been to hop in the truck and take off on weekend road trips. Now we'll be able to do so from the comfort of our own traveling home. I'm so excited, can you tell? We have tried and failed to do the traditional life kind of thing and right now it's not where our heart is. We just arent' happy. We want a little adventure. A bit of unconventional living. We want to redefine what Home means to us. We want to downsize and simplify. We want to live authentically.

So at the moment we're researching RV's and RV living, trying to sort through all our stuff and figure out what is necessity, what do we want to keep in long term storage and what can we purge completely. It's chaos here but I've never been happier.

So, any thoughts on our radical lifestyle change? Feel free to call us crazy. We probably are but we're going to be happy crazy people following a long held dream! Not everyone can say that. :)

7 comments:

  1. Meegan, wow, another gipsy! I've also been married seven years and in that time we have moved from Europe to New England and then I moved to the west coast for two years and now I am back east again. We bought and sold homes three times and including rental properties I think I've moved seven times in as many years. And now we are talking about maybe moving to Germany! We have no kids so that makes it all a bit easier, I cannot imagine doing all this with two little ones in toe, you are a hero! I just turned 49 and for the first time in my gipsy life (I have moved 22 times in total, lived in four countries) the prospect of another move exhausts me rather than excites me. Anyway, nothing is for sure yet and we may well stay put. For now anyway :)

    I saw an episode on RV living on house hunters the other day, it was very interesting! Amazing what you can fit into a mobile home these days. And given your love of road tripping this sounds perfect for you! There is nothing worse than feeling trapped in your life, sometimes all it takes is acknowledging it and the universe begins to work its magic. I wish you good luck with it all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerstin, it's so nice to meet another pilgrim soul! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I hope you are enjoying a soul in bloom as much as I am. What a great group of ladies!

      It's nice to know some people ccan understand and relate to our desire for a less orthodox lifestyle. Not everyone is fulfilled with a big house in the suburbs.we all have to march to our own beat. Our friends and family don't really seem to get it though. To each his own I say. Now I'm off to read more of your delicious blog!

      Delete
  2. Meegan - I am not much of a traveler (I have an anxiety disorder & one of my big triggers is traveling), but this is my fantasy. Actually just living in a small RV is my fantasy - with just enough land & privacy to keep me happy. I will admit that I also have fantasies that if I could take my home with me, travelling would be less anxiety producing. :) I love your idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, another kindred spirit!! So glad to meet you thru Graciel's wonderful ecourse. I just went to your blog & really enjoyed it. I'll be a regular reader! An adorable vintage RV on a piece of land with a romantic garden sounds like a great way to live in my opinion, or better yet a caboose!! I love unique and artistic homes. We should all try to make our dearest fantasies a reality whenever possible. Life is far too short!

      Delete
  3. Dear Meegan-I say GO FOR IT!!!! I think it's graet that you + hubby are on the same page!! And that things have worked out this way. I can tell you are so excited...so I am thrilled for you too:) I also think it will be a graet experience for the kids. Family + home mean 1000 million different things...once in my 20's ...I moved like 10 times in 1 year!!! I hope you guys are all better. Just as I was recovering from my virus..Tara came down with something completely different...and now I have her new flu!!! Ugh!!! Will chat soon. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a great adventure. You go girl (and guy, etc...)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Meegan, this is absolutely exciting!!! I love your idea of living in a RV, downsizing etc. I don't think you're crazy at all - if you want this and it makes you happy then this is the way to go for you! You seem to be so happy about it, so it's the absolute right thing to do. Don't worry about what other people think or day to you - it's YOUR life and only YOU can live it, and please do what makes you happy. Then you're also a happy mom, and that is important for your kids. I bet your kids will love the adventure! I had this adventure spirit whenever I moved to a different country, and I still haven't lost that sense.
    You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete