Wednesday, August 31, 2011

A second life

I fell in love with this doll when I was 8 or 9. I can remember staring at her in the store (Wal-Mart I believe) and longing for her. I think I was getting a small allowance, maybe .50 cents a week, and it took awhile to save up for her but eventually she was mine. She was a GumDrop Doll. This was in the early 80s at the height of the Strawberry Shortcake frenzy & I think Gumdrop dolls were a sort of knock off, cheaper version. I didn't care. She was my favorite doll from the moment I brought her home and we had many adventures together, in my imagination anyway. When I finally put away dolls & toys in my very early teens  sweet Gumdrop wasn't shoved in a closet as the others were. I kept her on a shelf in my bedroom. She traveled with my from my parents home to all my other homes, always kept safe from harm on a shelf. With our most recent move my hubby somehow mixed Gumdrop in with Nora's toys where Nora discovered her a few days ago. I have to admit my first instinct was to put the doll away until Nora's much older & able to take care of toys better but seeing how happy Nora was as she played with Gumdrop I decided it was time to pass her on to my little girl. It's so wonderful to watch Nora play with something I once loved and played with. I hope they have many adventures together.

No comments:

Post a Comment