Sunday, September 5, 2010

I was tagged!

We're having a lovely weekend. Not really doing much of anything, just hanging around the house and spending time together. Which in my opinion is the best way to spend a weekend! We did take a couple of hours yesterday to go to the Chesterfield County fair. It was so tiny compared to fairs I've gone to in Missouri and California but it was still fun because Nora had never been to one before. She was quite tired yesterday and very serious but she enjoyed people watching. I was surprised to see so many people feeding their young babies junk food. Maybe we are over-cautious but we don't give Nora any adult foods. She eats organic baby food or mashed fresh fruits & veggies that I make, an occasional organic teething biscuit and her formula. I watched parents feeding babies smaller than Nora cotton candy, soda, and ice cream amongst other things. I guess I'm over sensitive to these things because I was raised on junk food and southern fried foods and have a serious weight problem because of my unhealthy eating habits. I don't want to start my daughter off on a path of unhealthy eating. And hopefully I'll break my own bad eating habits along the way! My husband has always been thin and able to eat anything he wants but he too wants to keep Nora away from junk food while she's little. Mainly because he wants to lessen her chances of getting cavities from sweets. Oh well, to each his own. I'm definitely not the parenting police ;). Lots of people eat unhealthy foods sometimes but are still healthy overall. I guess finding a middle ground is the best way. But I'm still not giving my 8 month old ice cream and Pepsi, lol.She's not going to be able to blame me when she's older and has cavities :).

Soraya tagged me with a few questions so here are the answers. I love doing these things!

1. Are you a dog person or a cat person? Both? Neither? WE got our first dog just a month before I got pregnant last year. Kaylie is a beautiful and good natured dog but I have to admit I'm really not a dog person. They are just too high maintenance for me. I grew up having lots of cats and cats are soooo much easier. You don't have to walk them or wash them. They don't need tons of attention yet they can be very affectionate and are wonderful to snuggle when you're feeling down. So I guess I'd be more of a cat person. My favorite pet was my husband's horse More to Come which I was lucky enough to share with him for the first years of our marriage before she died.

2. If you could spend a week anywhere in the world, where would it be? What would you do? This is such a hard question! There are so many places I want to see and things I want to do. Normally I'd choose the British Isles, probably Scotland if I had to narrow it down and I'd spend the time going to ancient sites, churches, castles and taking photos. But right now being exhausted most of the time caring for an active baby I'd chose some place relaxing and tropical. My fantasy vacation would be to some gorgeous beach resort (maybe Fiji?) where they spoil you rotten. I'd have a hut on the beach, maybe even in the water with a glass floor to look down at the fish. No phone, no tv, no internet. Lots of beach time. Massages. Spa treatments. Tons of romantic time with the hubby and maybe an occasional foray into town to see a bit of a different culture and take photos. It would be cool if there were an art retreat going on too. Oh and since this is a dream I'd have the perfect beach body and sunbathe/skinny dip in the nude at my own private waterfall. LOL

3. What is your fave home cooked meal? Hmm, I'm really not a cook so my choices of favorite home cooked meals are limited. I guess I'd have to say my boneless barbeque spare ribs with home made mashed potatoes, corn on the cob and warm rolls.

4. Your perfect evening is... Livingroom lit by a silver candelabra (which I no longer have ;( ), music playing maybe Andrea Boccelli or Ella Fitzgerald, reading a book while laying my head in my hubby's lap, later curling up with blankets and pillows on the floor in our pjs with Nora and watching an old movie or musical or some fantasy movie. Going to bed and spooning.

5. If you could be anyone in history for one day, who would you pick and why? There's a million great answers I could give to this but I'm going to go with my initial gut reaction and say Ekaterina Gordeeva in 1994 on the day & night of her gold medal win in pairs figure skating with her (now deceased) husband Sergei Grinkov. Why? Because I was a huge figure skating fan and I'd love to know what it feels like to give such an amazing performance, to glide and flow and fly across the ice in the arms of your greatest love and to achieve a life long dream that you've worked years for. I'd just love to know what it feels like to move like that and to be the best in the world at something.She was a hero of mine both for her career and for how she handled tragedy and having to rebuild her life after her husband's death.

6. A quality you admire most in others...? Least...? Most admired would be true kindness, empahty and open heartedness. I saw some silly show recently with hidden cameras and they set someone up to pretend to be homeless and crying near a sidewalk. The pretend homeless person was also a bit intimidating looking, acting a bit crazy and not wearing shoes. Lots of people walked by and ignored him. A few stopped to ask if they could help. One woman in particular really touched me because she was genuinely upset for this person. She was nearly in tears of sympathy because the other person seemed so upset. She ran to her car to get a cell phone for them and ended up having an asthma attack because she was so concerned. You just don't see that sort of kindness and empathy much any more. Most of us, even if we feel a deep empathy rarely act on it. We've become too gaurded, too protected and walled off. As for least admired trait it would be meanness. Saying deliberately cruel or humiliating things to someone weaker than you are.

7. The scariest thing about ageing... Scariest thing about aging for me is worrying about losing my husband. Obviously one of us will die first and I hate the thought of being without him or vice versa. The thing I dread the most about aging is getting tons of wrinkles on my face or a saggy jaw :). I'm a bit vain about having decent skin and recently found the first wrinkle under my eye. I get depressed just thinking about it! ;)

8. At the end of your life, what is the one thing you will regret never having tried? I can't think o any big dream that I'd deeply regret not accomplishing. I'd kind of like to be published or have my photos sold in some chain i admire like Anthropologie or Urban Outfitters or Ikea. I totally want to sell out, lol. I'd regret it if I'm not able to travel more and see the places I've dreamed of. My biggest regret is something I can't do anything about, it's that I wasted my twenties and didn't really live them. But all you can do is move forward.

Great questions Soraya!!


6 comments:

  1. Meegan-I loved your answers and will get to them in a minute! First of...I have to agree with you on the junk food thing. Tara is 19 months now and I am VERY careful with what she eats. That is just SO ridiculous with parents giving their children junk food...not only for cavities and weight but the #1 rise in juvenile diabetes!! When Tara was 8 months old...she was still breastfeeding with a little bit of bananas, avocados etc. Even now...I am so careful and my fear is when she goes to school. It seems that people just have absolutely no sense at all when it comes to this issue! And while I agree that we are not the children police...I just think that as adults...we need to become more educated about food and what we feed our children. They just recently passed a law in Britain that parents who have obese kids are arrested for child abuse. I hardly ever snack at all and generally eat pretty healthy...I want to pass that on to Tara. When I was in University...I tool a socio-biology course that linked the foods we eat to our behavior. Okay..if we really knew what was in our food...carnauba wax (what they use on cars) on M&M's so they don't melt...the sugar in ketchup...I am with you on this one!! Balance of course but I just try to make healthy eating a lifestyle.
    Getting back to your answers...I never would of guessed that you were a cat person. Dogs are very high maintenance but...they give so much more too. I thought I was a cat person until I got a dog:) I love your fantasy vacation...I agree...there are so many wonderful places to see but most times I don't have the energy! I love your idea of the hut in the water with a glass floor...Okay...I want to go there!!! You know...I have always loved and admired Ekaterina G. I once watched a whole documentary on her and fell in love with her spirit. Also...I love ice skating too (I am Canadian!) and she was at the top of her game with the love of her life= magic! Yes...meaness and hypocrisy..I really dislike those qualities in others. Ageing...I guess the loss of health and yes...our loved ones. I think (about the wrinkles/skin issue)...just keep out of the sun or try to use sunscreen, glasses, hat. And i use almond oil/olive oil/shea butter on my skin. also Vit E oil. I don't use all these lotions and potions. And hydrate. But I think it's just the natural part of ageing. I mean...when my teeth are in a glass and my boobs at down to my knees...its' all relative:) Thanks so much for playing along Meegan. I loved reading your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stopping by to say hello... from blogging class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, so this is the thing with tagging. Soraya tagged me as well and I had no clue how to handle it, so I just answered the questions in the comment box... well, I hope she understands. Another thing learned!
    About the food. I can understand your concerns so very well. I've never been a thin person, always a bit overweight. Therefore I had massive concerns for Kaefer because I never forgot the teasing of other kids, how dreadful and humiliating PE was etc. I'm the cook of the family and I try to prepare healthy meals. Breastfed Kaefer for 13 months - breastfeeding is really the best you can do for your children! We never forbid any food, because I think that's exactly what makes them interesting and tempting. Fortunately Kaefer (she's 12 now) makes reasonable choices, eats fruit and veggies, doesn't like sodas and is a very active, healthy child. She loves ice cream though, but I think that's okay. Everything in moderation. I think you're going a good path with Nora!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I know I'm not a mom, but I am 100% behind you on feeding your daughter healthy foods! I applaud you for that, because I'm flabbergasted at some of the food choices I see people make for their kids. You aren't alone in that at ALL.

    It's great to get to know you a little. Thanks for visiting my blog, and see you in class!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting my blog! I replied to you over there but wanted to say some more here. My second daughter was actually born in January too, on the 21st so we are probably dealing with a lot of the same milestones and challenges! I also met my husband online and struggle with depression and my weight. The latter is something I am trying to get the courage to blog about. It's hard when so many people who know me offline read my blog. Obviously they know I'm overweight but I feel really vulnerable putting my true feelings and struggle out there. So many people to hold me accountable! We shall see. I have around 85lbs to lose to get down to the high range of a healthy weight for my height. Since I have never been thin I have no idea what that would look like, so I try to keep the idea of an end weight goal as flexible. One of my biggest motivators are my girls. I want to lose the weight and live a healthy life for their benefit so they don't grow up with the limitations (albeit some self-imposed) that I grew up with.
    Hope to see some more of you!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meegan, BlueMoonMamaSeptember 7, 2010 at 9:56 AM

    Wow Amy, we sound like kindred spirits! Though I am a decade older lol. I'm trying to get my courage up to blog more about my weight issues too. Luckily almost no one in my 'real' life reads my blog so I don't have the added pressure of that but I still think it's hard to be completely vulnerable and honest, even in my own blog. But then I ask myself if not here, then where? I'm going to try and get the courage up starting after my bday this month. I'm determined that I am going to start dealing with this excess baggage (so to speak) once and for all. I want to be healthy for my daughter and husband!!! Like you, I want to be a good role model for my little girl. I've got to start now while she's still really young. Plus I do not want to waste yet another decade of my life being unhealthy & overweight. I want my 40's to be a time of possibilities, adventures and fun. I don't want to deal with being afraid I can't fit in an airplane seat or not being able to spend all day walking around an amusement park because I get too out of breath. All things to post about I guess. Anyway, thanks so much for commenting. I have a feeling I'm going to be posting lots of comments at your blog. I hope you don't mind ;)

    ReplyDelete