Thursday, August 5, 2010

Shirley Valentine

I love quirky movies. I also love movies where mild mannered repressed personalities suddenly come into their own: Amelie, Muriel's Wedding, Enchanted April to name a few. Now I have another movie to add to my list of favorities: Shirley Valentine. It's a movie from the 80's set in England & Greece about a stifled housewife who breaks out of her rut & finds herself. I highly recommend it! Here are a couple of quotes from the movie:

"I've fallen in love with the idea of living. Because we don't do what we want to do, do we? We do what we have to do and pretend that it's what we want to do.

And what I want is to stay here and be Shirley Valentine. "

"I've led such a little life. And even that will be over pretty soon.
I have allowed myself to lead this little life, when inside me there was so much more. And it's all gone unused. And now it never will be.
Why do we get all this life if we don't ever use it? Why do we get all these feelings and dreams and hopes if we don't ever use them? That's where Shirley Valentine disappeared to. She got lost in all this unused life."

What movies do you love?



-Mee

3 comments:

  1. i just saw one i loved and recommend:

    the kids are alright.
    the acting is so good you feel like your eavesdropping on real people. and i wish i was eavesdropping on mark ruffalo's life. swoon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite movies is one from Germany, "Im Herz, im Bauch, im Juli". You can say it's a German-Turkish road movie (from Northern Germany to Turkey), a quest for love and is simply hilarious. Unfortunately, I've never seen it here in the US. I also love "Bread and Tulips".
    And my all-time favorite? "Witness".

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loved this movie when it came out!

    i love: Chocolat, Dr. Zhivago, Amelie, Whale Rider, A Passage to India, Water, English Patient ... i do love movies!

    ReplyDelete