Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Domestic Goddess



Recently Lis at Dandelion Seeds & Dreams asked What is calling to you in your life? I've been giving alot of thought to this question. I would like to say I'm passionately drawn to creating art or taking photographs & building my creative business. I know eventually I will be in that place again but right now I feel that dream is simmering slowly on the backburner. Something else is calling to me now.

I want to sink into my family life & glory in homemaking. I want to clean and organize, purge belongings & surround my family only with things we love. I want to create family traditions & rituals. I want to celebrate our private world. I want to learn to cook. I want to learn to use my sewing machine. I want to plan fun family times. I want to be a mommy with no distractions pulling at me. I want to do a family budget. Cut coupons. Get excited over cleaning supplies. I want to explore crafts that also celebrate the home: making pretty picture frames & scrapbooks, hand embroidering pillowcases, making ragdolls. I want to learn to garden. I want to take walks & go on picnics with my family. I want to take better care of myself so I can take care of my family. I want to glory in my family life and possibly even have another baby. I want to be a DOMESTIC GODDESS!

I guess that's where I am right now. Hopefully you will begin to see me putting these heart urgings into actions & documenting them with my blog. I intended this to be more of a photography/art/ creative journey blog but I feel to be authentic it needs to be an artful LIFE blog instead. More of me & my daily life struggles & dreams. Hope it's not too boring for readers!

-Meegan

3 comments:

  1. Domestic goddess - YES! How perfect. And I'm with you on everything except the thrill over cleaning products :)

    I think what you articulate here is what I have been grappling with in my life - a desire to create a loving, creative, nurturing environment for myself and my family. It isn't so much about what I want to be or have accomplished as much as it is to say, I want to live well and cherish the experience. And I think many of us are working towards the same ends, so what you share here is never boring as we all are searching to refine and describe this process.

    Clean and organize? Hmm ... hopefully Nora isn't a packrat like my daughter! Train her well!

    xo Lis

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, you're talking about LIFE !!! That is the most interesting thing!
    And you know what? Eventually the creative part of you will sneak in, will become part of the domestic goddess. The one doesn't exclude the other.
    I love to cook for my family, healthy, yummy meals. I grow my own veggies. I garden.
    I HATE cleaning! Awful, boring! So, I'll never be a domestic goddess.
    And I still think we're a rather happy family. We laugh a lot. And make fun of the dirt.

    Go with your gut feeling. Only that way you will be authentic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Meegan-you are immersed in Domestic Goddess 101!! I am so happy for you...you are radiating with enthusiasm and joy. I think it is such a struggle for us mommies...on the one hand we may want to pursue our creativity and inner urgings and on the other hand we want to be there 110% for our family. And there is only so much time in the day:) I can relate to so much of your post as well, except for the housekeeping part!! Our home is always clean but its' not something I enjoy doing!) But I agree with your take on it...it is like the Buddhists say, look at everything as a meditation, even washing the dishes...especially washing the dishes. BTW...I love your pics of Nora sleeping..they are darling. I also wanted to thank you for sharing your simple lists with us...I really think that you have a gift with writing Meegan. and I truly mean that from the bottom of my heart. I am an avid reader of all sorts of books and you really have a gift. I think that when the time is right, you will explore that path more.
    It's so nice having Tim back home...big hugs, date night last night, family time, bonding and readjusting to each other. Also, he's taking care of Tara for the whole day today!!! I have time to do some serious catching up on things I need to do! xxx

    ReplyDelete