Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Do blondes have more fun?

My hair, like my spirit, has gone thru many evolutions. I was a very blonde baby then my hair went through phases of light strawberry blonde, golden blonde, sandy blonde & finally settled into a sort of light strawberry brown with golden blond highlights. At heart though I always felt like a blonde and in my senior year of high school, just before prom, I dyed my hair blonde for the first time. I loved it! I felt more vibrant and beautiful than I ever had. It didn't hurt that I was a size 2 either ;).

A few years, one bad breakup & lots of horrible self esteem issues later I decided that my blond hair was an attempt at conforming to society's narrow definition of beauty and as a way to thumb my nose at today's beauty standards I ( gained a hundred pounds) and dyed my hair black. Although the Snow White look wasn't for me in the long run I never did return to blonde hair and generally stuck to shades of light brown or dark strawberry. Until the other day.

For no reason at all I picked up a light blonde dye & changed my color again. And I'm enjoying it! Again I feel brighter, more cheerful and vibrant.
It's funny how a simple bottle of hair dye can lift a persons spirits & change their outlook. I find myself wanting to wear brighter, prettier clothes and being a little less reserved with people. As a general principal I don't like basing my self esteem on superficial things like looks but I also know that self expression is important and right now I feel like expressing my inner blonde.



-Mee

1 comment:

  1. Hi Meegan-I think your blonde hair looks great-sometimes a little bit of "superficial" does wonders for us gals!! I don't think there's any harm in it as long as it's just a small part of the big picture. The only think I really worry about as i get older is my health...i want to be there for my family. The gray hair and boobs being hijacked by gravity...sigh...great pic-I used a Moby wrap with Tara until just a few months ago.

    ReplyDelete