Friday, April 23, 2010

Early Morning at Doheney Beach-iPhone Friday



I took this photo around 6:45 in the morning as I walked along the beach in Dana Point, Ca. I'd just dropped my husband off at the train station in San Juan Capistrano & it was such a lovely early spring morning that I didn't want to go back home so I drove a few minutes to one of my favorite spots in Southern California, the Dana Point headlands, parked the truck & took a long lovely walk all around the harbor & over to Doheney Beach. It was wonderful and I felt so lucky to live in such a beautiful place.

Southern California is often put down and made fun of as a superficial spoiled, materialistic, and looks obsessed place. I can't deny that it can be all those things. But the overall feeling I experienced was of freedom. People are generally so concerned with themselves that they don't have time to worry about anyone else. Everyone is busy marching to their own drum. Having come from a close knit but judgemental family in a small town where everyone knew eachothers business it was very freeing to live somewhere where I didn't have to try and live up to anyones expectations other than my own.

The beach communities where I lived are especially wonderful. Very artsy and a bit bohemian with lots of unique characters and laid back spirits. I miss it very much! We'd still be living there but the cost of living just became to high. A nice starter home often runs $800,000 dollars or more and the public schools aren't the best. Someday maybe we'll be able to move back but for now we need to be in a more family friendly community. Lucky for us my husband's family still lives out there so we have lots of reason to visit!

A blogger I met recently will soon be moving to SoCal and she's inspired me to reminisce about my lovely time in California. I'll be digging through my photos and making another post soon about the Golden State :).

-Mee

1 comment:

  1. Dear Blue Moon Mama-thank so much for this post-it is just so beautiful. Wow- a starter home at 800 000??Is it still that way I wonder. We saw some really beautiful homes for 500-550 000 (still way too high for me)...We have just so much going on here but I am feeling calm and refreshed. Just trusting in what the future holds and remaining in the moment. thanks for this post and the wonderful slice of living in CA. I will let you know how things are going.

    ReplyDelete