Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Virginia on my mind

Life can be full of unexpected twists and turns. Three weeks ago my husband's former boss looked him up and offered him a job. In Richmond, Virginia. The job is a step up in every way: title, money, benefits, and work environment. They offered a good relocation package. So we decided to give it serious consideration and we flew out to Richmond for a long weekend to look over the area and allow my husband to meet with a few people at the company to see if the job might be a good fit. What we saw of the area (mainly just Richmond and it's suburbs) was very nice. Clean, Green, Lots of trees. MUCH less traffic than here in California. Friendly people. Generally it reminded me of Missouri, my home state, but with more history and a stronger southern flavor. To make a short story shorter: He's taking the job. We're moving to Virginia!!! And we have to be there by the end of the month.

I'm a little scared, a lot excited. It will be harder on my husband than on me. I've loved my time here in California and will miss a lot of things about living here, but I think I have a bit of a gypsy streak. I'm ready to explore new pastures and moving to the east coast certainly opens a lot of new pastures for me :). All I can think about are the photos I'll be able to get! For my husband the move will probably be harder. He will be leaving behind everyone and everything he's ever known, including all of his family. His parents are both in their mid 70's which is also worrying, though he does have 2 brothers and 2 sisters here to look after them. He'll be starting a brand new job on top of all the stress of moving. I know he's looking forward to the move and all the changes it will bring but his excitement isn't quite at the level mine is. Once we're there and settled I think he'll be ecstatic though. We've both wanted to get out of Orange County and move somewhere with a slower pace to life. I think Virginia will fit the bill.

So currently I'm busy packing and trying to organize our move. His last day will be on the 12th and we'll leave some time after my birthday on the 15th (I'm gonna be 36, ugh). So much to do. So little time!!!! We're really happy about this new opportunity and looking forward to starting another chapter in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment