Friday, February 1, 2008

One month down, A lifetime to go.

Well, my husband and I have been eating our low cholesterol vegetarian food for one month now. I can honestly say I haven't had a single food binge and in fact haven't "cheated".  I could still make big improvements, give up my handful of pretzels and snack on carrots more often, but I am moving in that direction. I'd give myself a good solid B, possibly even a B+ for the way I've eaten in January. I'm quite proud I've made it an entire month without eating meat, or junk food or soda. And we've drastically reduced our restaurant visit which should benefit our pocketbook as well.

I'm really pleased with the lifestyle changes I'm making. I don't really want to call it a diet because to me diet means obsessing over calories and depriving myself. I'm not doing that now, though I am even more careful about what I eat now then I ever was when I followed a diet. I suppose the big difference is that now I'm being very mindful of healthful content in my diet, instead of just obsessing over calorie intake. I'm trying so hard to change my mindset and focus on healthfulness. Diets have never had longterm effect. I've managed to lose a hundred pounds on one diet, 80 pounds on another, 50 pounds on 3 different occassions and yet I have always put it back on because all I obsessed over was cutting down calories and not in permanently changing my eating habits. So this time I'm trying a different approach. I am doing healthy things just to be healthy and not simply as a temporary fix to lose some weight. It's so hard to change my thinking though. Early in the month I was weighing myself daily to see if I'd managed to lose anything, and then getting depressed when the scale hardly budged. Then I realized that getting worked up about the scale was pointless. Regardless of what the scale says I still have to eat healthy & stick with my choice to be vegetarian. If I never lose another pound, I still have to eat veggies instead of cheeseburgers. And really, it's not too bad. My cravings for meat and junk food are fading. It just takes time. I feel better now that I'm not over eating and filling myself with nasty things. Basically everything is going well, though a part of me still wishes I could just wake up tomorrow morning and discovered I've turned into a lean, strong uber healthy vegan kickboxing figure skating champion with a body like Carmen Electra. One can always dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment