Monday, January 7, 2008

I'M WALKING ON SUNSHINE..... :)

So, this morning I got off of my butt and went for a walk. I couldn't have chosen a better morning for it. Orange County finally got rain this weekend, after a year long dry spell. The air coming off the ocean is so clean and crisp you'd want to drink it. It was about 58-60 degrees. Perfect. And there was gorgeous light dancing off the ocean. Ideal walking conditions!

I was reading my copies of the books You: on a diet & You: staying young and the doctors suggested doing just a half an hour walk a day. I thought to myself that seemed like a reasonable amount of time & a fairly easy way to improve my health. I could manage that every day. Maybe. So over the weekend I declared to my hubby that I'd start walking this morning. Normally these declarations tend to fall to the wayside on the day I'm actually suppose to start them so I didn't want to give myself a chance to be lazy and back out. I dressed for walking when I got up this morning and dug out my pedometer. Got the music on my iphone ready to go and once I dropped my husband off at the train station I drove up to the Ocean Institute in Dana Point. I knew if I went home I'd talk myself out of walking, bed being oh so much more comfortable, and I also figured that walking beside the ocean would keep me motivated since it's so lovely & invigorating there. So I walked. Probably to an observer it was pretty slow walking, but for me it was what I could do. My body is just so weak from the past 3 years of inactivity. About 5 minutes into the walking my left calf and lower back began aching and didn't stop for the majority of the walk. I wanted to quit pretty much from the moment I started but I set a goal for myself that I wouldn't stop or take a break until I'd heard at least 4 songs play on my phone but when I hit that point I realized I didn't really feel a need to sit. I slowed down a bit while Schindler's List played (love the shuffle feature on my phone, I listened to Classical music, Michael Buble, Duran Duran, Blondie, Nora Jones and Cyndi Lauper all mixed together :) ), but then I continued on at the speed I'd been walking. I actually walked longer than I'd intended. Just as I was nearing where I'd parked the truck, right at the 40 minute mark, the song Sex Bomb came on and I just kept walking. I ended up doing 50 minutes and walking 2.79 miles. I think I could have easily done 3 miles in an hour (but I had to use the bathroom!). Maybe tomorrow I'll manage that. I'm not setting any real goals other than that the bare minimum is to walk for 30 minutes every day.For anyone who might know:  Is 3 miles in an hour an okay speed or am I horribly slow?  Not that I'm capable of walking any faster than that at the moment anyway. I'm just really really pleased that I made it that long walking continuously. I thought for sure I'd have to take a break but I didn't. Actually around the time I hit the 30 minute mark my aches went away and I actually started to feel pretty good and fairly energized. And now sitting here at home in front of the computer my lungs feel so refreshed and clear. I actually feel rather great. I've got to keep this feeling in mind each morning as a way to motivate myself to get out there and just do it, even when I don't feel like it.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment