Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Yet again, off track

Dieting has taken a back seat to other things recently.  This weekend my Dad had an accident with his motorcycle and is now laid up in the hospital.  My parents were planning a big road trip (their first real vacation ever)  from Missouri to visit us here in California and were suppose to be here in just a week and a half. My dad was practicing loading their motorcycle into their truck bed so that they could bring it with them on the trip. While riding it up the ramps into the truck bed he lost his footing and flipped off the ramps. He cut up his arm on the driveway, broke 3 ribs and punctured his lung. He's still in the hospital and in a lot of pain. The accident could have been so much worse though. He could have easily broken his back or his neck.  We're really thankful his injuries weren't worse than they are. It looks as if they won't be taking their trip this year though. I haven't seen any of my family in nearly two years and I was really looking forward to this visit. I had lots of fun stuff planned and was so excited to get to spend time with my parents on their first visit west, their first time seeing the ocean. It's really disappointing for all of us. But I shouldn't feel too sorry for myself. After all, this could have been a MUCH worse accident. I hate not being nearby when my family is going through a rough time, it makes me feel very helpless and out of touch  :(.  My husband and I will start planning a trip to visit them, maybe for the holidays. I'd love it if we could take the time for another cross country drive but we may just have to settle for a flight in and a long weekend. The hubby's work schedule is a bit tight right now. The mortgage industry isn't doing all that well and his company has been hard hit. They've even started cutting back on the IT and reporting staff (his area) so now may not be a good time for him to leave the office. We'll just have to see.

In other news I've just purchased my textbooks for the 3 college courses I'm taking this semester (Education Psychology, Daycare Administration, & Infant/Toddler Development). All of my courses are on the internet through our local community college so I don't have to actually go to campus. I can log on and do my class work in my pjs if I want to :). When I finish these courses I will have enough credits to work in a daycare center. Unlike Missouri, California requires that you have completed at least 12 college credits in Early Childhood Education before being able to work in the child care field. It's been kind of frustrating for me to have to go back to college to get these credits since I've had more than 10 years of experience working in schools, have 70+ credits in gen. ed (16 credits in Elementary Education) and completed about 3 dozen  ECE workshops & training seminars back in missouri. I can sleep walk through these courses. In fact, last semester I didn't even open the textbook once and I received an A in the course. It feels like such a waste of money, particularly since I know this isn't a field I want to work in long term, at least not out here in California. Perhaps if we move to another state I might want to have my own in home daycare but not here. It's too much of a pain to get licensed and the pay isn't good. It's too easy for people to find illegals willing to watch their kids for below minimum wage :(.  Yet another benefit of living  within a 100 miles of the mexican border.  I need to make a decision about what I might want to do long term, decide which field to pursue and start taking classes in another area. Long ago I was passionate about teaching. I loved teaching preschool and I was working really hard to get through school to become a high school history teacher. Somewhere along the line though I've lost that passion.  Nothing I do seems to revive it. Perhaps I've just changed and it's time to explore other options.  It's hard to break out of the old path though, especially since I am a REALLY good teacher :).  It just doesn't hold much interest for me anymore. I want to find something that I can be passionate about again.

Alright, enough of my ramblings for now.  Sorry this isn't even remotely diet/health oriented. That's just not where my head is at right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment