Thursday, August 2, 2007

Lethargy, my greatest demon

I just can't seem to get moving lately, physically mentally or emotionally and it's starting to frustrate me. My brain says Lets go for a walk, Lets edit some photos, Lets make a collage and half a second later those thoughts are followed by EHHH, why bother and I end up lounging around reading a book, napping or browsing the internet. This has gone on for most of the week and I don't like it. Some of it is because of not getting as much sleep as I need (hubby has suddenly decided we should stay up watching the Daily Show & Colbert Nation till midnight) and some of it is because I'm always kind of draggy when I first begin a diet & my body adjusts to the lower calorie intake. There is also though, a little underlying thread of pessimism/ depression/despondency, a feeling that it's just not worth it to get out of bed. Not sure where that's coming from but it's annoying me.  Generally I'm an upbeat & cheerful person and I don't like this 'glass is half empty' attitude that's come over me. Hopefully it will be gone soon. Maybe it's also just  a side product of dieting & lack of sleep. I'm hopeful that our weekend plans will perk me up. We're going to drive up to Big Bear, a mountain resort about 3 hrs from here, and spend the weekend. I'm looking forward to getting out into the fresh air, getting away from our place, taking lots of photos, and maybe even hiking in the woods a little (or possibly taking our bicycles to ride around the lake). I think that I'll come home with a more positive mind set. Or at least I'm hoping I will.

One of the best things about living in southern california are all the great places to visit that are in driving distance; mountain resorts, beaches, national parks, great cities, funky little towns. It's really wonderful and I know how lucky I am. I never really thought I'd get out of the tiny town I lived in back in Missouri, never thought I'd get a chance to see anything of the world. I'm thankful for my life now. Even though it's not perfect, it's still pretty wonderful. If someone had told me ten years ago that I'd be spending weekends visiting Big Bear (a place I'd heard of through my grandma's favorite soap opera The Bold and the Beautiful because it's where one of the characters has a vacation house) I'd have thought they were crazy. Life is full of surprises.

Dieting is still going fine, around 1400 calories yesterday. Will probably be the same today. No exercising though since I can't get motivated to get up from my chair :(. I'll make up for that this weekend though.  

No comments:

Post a Comment