Friday, March 28, 2003

Admiring my Mom


When I came across the above picture it just struck me at how young my Mom was. There I am at sixteen, practically grown and my Mom was just 34. She was only 4 years older than I am right now, yet back then I thought she was SO adult. She was THE MOM after all. I can't imagine having a teenager at my age, much less three of them as my Mom had. The idea of being responsible for guiding and raising another human overwhelms me just a bit. It's the hardest and most important job anyone can ever do. At 30 I just don't feel I have the maturity or life experience to raise a child but then I look back on my Mom raising me and look at my sister, 3 years younger than I am and raising two boys, and I marvel at their courage. My Mom had so much on her shoulders at a much younger age then I am now. It really awes me. I never doubted her, never thought she didn't know what she was doing. Even in our worst moments of teenage angst and estrangement I always knew my Mom was in charge and that she'd look out for me. Yet, for most of my growing up years she was just a kid herself. Amazing. Until recently I never really appreciated how hard it must have been for her.

To all the Mom's out there, you have my total respect.

(Edit Jan 2007: Looking back at this post I'm still awed by my Mom. I'm 34 years old myself now and I can't imagine having a nearly grown daughter. It couldn't have been easy for her, being so young and responsible for raising 3 kids but she did an excellent job.)

No comments:

Post a Comment