Friday, February 14, 2003

Valentine's day 'girls day out'

So far, my Valentine's Day is shaping up as usual: nonexistent. With the exception of well wishes from a couple of incredibly lovely journal friends (THANKS YOU GUYS!!XOXO) and someone very sweet at another message board, I haven't received a Valentine note from anyone, not friends, family, nobody in my actual life. Pitiful huh? Nobody's even told me Happy Valentine's Day.

Today I'll be spending the day dedicated to romance hanging out with my MOM. We have to do some shopping and we're going to see a movie, Chicago, this afternoon. I'm looking forward to the movie. It'll probably be a decent day and we'll be home before all the dating/romance crap starts this evening. I hate being out surrounded by couples on Valentine's Day! The worst was when I worked in restaurants and would see the couples come in. Really drives it home to you that your on your own, single and unloved in a world geared towards couples.

I thought I'd be a bit more depressed but I'm not. It's been so many years since I had anyone to celebrate Valentine's Day with that I've grown use to it. I probably wouldn't know what to do if I DID have someone to share it with.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just got a Valentine note from my Russian pen pal. I admire him very much. He's always incredibly polite, good mannered and considerate. No matter where he is (currently working in England) or how inconvenient it may be for him he always manages to send greetings for important days or just little notes and letters. He's a truly kind and decent person. Considerate and thoughtful people are becoming increasingly rare and I appreciate those qualities in him.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

First off I've got to give the Englishman credit. He came through with a lovely email message. I have the best penpals in the world. They both really made me feel as if I were a special friend.

I was whining in my first post this morning and feeling sorry for myself but now I have to admit that this was probably one of the best Valentine's Day's I've ever had. It even beats out the romantic ones with the ex. I spent the day with two of my favorite people, my Mom and my Sister. We went and saw Chicago, which we all really enjoyed. WOW, the performances delivered in that movie were top notch! You could tell that they all put 100% of themselves into each scene. After the movie we came back here and my sister's hubby volunteered to continue watching their kids for a few hours so she could hang out with us. It was great fun. We laughed, joked, and talked our heads off. My sister's an incredible cut up, very funny. To top the night off my brother and his family came in and we had a really nice time too. It was the first time I've spent more than a few minutes with my sister in law since she moved back in with him and I have to admit I see a change in her. She seemed less anxious, nervous, and self concious around us. She was making plans for renovating their home and she's never before taken any interest in anything home related. I'm not getting my hopes up or anything but she really seems to have settled down a bit and grown up. For my brother and nephew's sake I REALLY hope everything works out.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Edit January 2007: I just wanted to note that the 'someone very sweet' mentioned early in this post turned out to be the man I would marry 2 years later in 2005. We bumbed into eachother on a message board in early February and he began sending me little ecards as little 'pick me ups'. It took me about 2 months to warm up to him and start chatting but eventually we did hook up and it worked out wonderfully :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment