Tuesday, November 12, 2002

Devastated by Algebra

Overall I'd have to say that the majority of this day sucked. Yet again Algebra has me on the ropes. I spent 3 hours yesterday being tutored on this particular section and felt I had a firm grasp on it. Today I went back to do a few review problems and it was like I'd never seen them before. I had no idea even where to begin. I had to start all over from scratch (another 2 hrs just to get the problems worked out) and by tomorrow I will probably have forgotten how to do them yet again. I can't understand why it's so hard for me to retain these formulas and rules for working the problems. It's incredibly frustrating to me. I'm an intelligent person. Put me in a History or English class and I'm going to get an A. I can even hold my own in Science. Yet basic mathematical concepts at a 6th grade level will completely undue me. My teacher and tutor are both at a loss as to how to help me. My Mathematical block is becoming as frustrating to them as it is to me. At what point do you admit defeat??? I have a D in the class and must have a C in order to move on to the next required Algebra class. This is my second attempt at this course and my results are exactly the same so far. I'm thinking that if I don't pass this time I may need to take some time to regroup before attempting it again. I have the text book. I wonder if trying to learn it on my own, at my own pace, will achieve better results. It may be my only option. I'm thinking I may take next semester off, work on it at home, and re-enroll in the class next fall. I've almost given up all hope of actually passing this semester. We've covered more than half of the material and I'm not passing. I don't think it's possible for me to raise my grade now. I will keep plugging away though. At least I've managed to get over the panic attacks I was having.

No comments:

Post a Comment